Saturday 17 May 2014

Other Sides of the World! Chapter Four: Friendships.

Previous Chapters:

"That's not even a word!!!" Rhona gasped with mock surprise.
"Yes it is!"
"No, it's not in the Oxford English dictionary Oswald, therefore it's not a word!"
"Bejesus is so a word!!!" Oz chuckled and widened his big blue eyes.
"Och, gi us peace will ye!!!" she muttered and shuffled her letters noisily on the rack. She always reverted back to her native Scots when Oz made her mad. "Right!" she exclaimed and placed a few letters on the board.
"Um, no!" Oz laughed even louder and shook his head.
"What?" she shrugged and took more letters out of the bag.
"I am NOT giving you THAT!" Oz crossed his arms and leaned back in his chair, his lips pouting out of his beard.
"This is Scotland pal! And dreich is a word, okay?"
"Not where I come from little girl!" he raised an eyebrow and stared her down, she eventually caved and removed the letters.
"Fine, see what I'm doing here? I'm playing fair!" she began to take her turn again but not before she added under her breath, "Unlike you, ya big cheatin' half wit!"
"What was that?" his eyebrow arched even further and he leaned forward with his arms still crossed.
"I'll take this turn again, if you do the same!!!" Oz thought for a moment and unfolded his arms, placing his hands on the table he smiled.
"How about we play something else. The language barrier is clearly a problem here..."
"WHAT?" she interrupted.
"Excuse me Miss Scottish Noblewoman! I wasn't finished! Let's play...um..." he looked at the bookcase full of games and tapped his index finger to his lips with a look of concentration on his face. "A-HA!" he pointed to a box on the top shelf.
"Oh what?" Rhona snapped impatiently.
"Operation!!!" he beamed and folded his arms once again, leaning back in the chair once again too and looking rather pleased with himself.
"Fine if it keeps you quiet!" she sighed and headed over to the bookcase to retrieve the game.
"I have a very steady hand little ginger! Just warning you, I am really good at this!" he boasted as Rhona cleared away the Scrabble board and all it's contents. As she set the other game up on the table, Oz gave her a mischievous grin. "What now Oswald?"
"Forget the cooking thing okay?" Rhona had suggested that the winner of their game had the loser cook dinner for them.
"Oz what are you up to?" she eyed him curiously.
"If you win, I will do anything you want. I will cook, clean, do your bar duties, whatever! If I win..." he grinned even wider and winked. "...I get to kiss you!" Rhona placed her hands on her hips and tilted her head to the side.
"Is that all? A kiss?"
"What do you mean is that all??? It's a biiiiig prize for me you know!"
"Deal!" she replied and they shook hands on it.

An hour and a half later, Rhona packed the game away and huffed. Oz had won, he indeed had a steady hand and she did not. As he sat and rubbed his hands together with glee, she wondered what was so special about a kiss. A week had passed since Oz told her he was dying and ever since then they had spent every moment together. When she was tending the bar, he would sit and drink Irn Bru while helping collect glasses and occasionally wash and dry them for her. He had dinner with the family every night and Lachie even took him fishing on the Loch the other day while Rhona watched from the jetty. It was as if Oswald Truman was now part of the family and the way Lachie was trying with him warmed her heart. She took him sightseeing around her little village, introduced him to her friends and the locals around town. They had a picnic earlier that day by the Loch and they chatted about everything and anything. But not once did they mention Oz's health, not once all week! As Rhona placed the box on the top shelf and turned to face him, he was still grinning from ear to ear. "Okay!" she sighed, "You beat me! No need to gloat!"
"When do I get my prize?" he bounced up and down excitedly on his chair.
"Whenever you like!" she shrugged. He jumped up off the chair and walked slowly towards her with his head down. As they stood face to face, she could she his cheeks were glowing red. "Oz?" she put her hands on his face and felt the warmth from his skin.
"I...I'm nervous!" he whispered and rested his forehead on hers.
"About what?" she whispered back and brushed his hair away from his face.
"Kissing you!" his voice was still a whisper as she felt him breathing heavily.
"Why?" she whispered back as her own breathing began to speed up. She raised her head up so that their lips were inches away. She could feel that all too familiar tingle reverberate around her body and she wanted so badly to give him his reward, but it was his move, not hers! "It's only me Oz!" she took his hands in hers as their lips slowly moved closer together. His warm breath tickled her mouth as they got even closer, until their lips were touching. The tingling in her body escalated and she fought the urge to smother him, the delicate brushing of skin on skin made her insides burn. Why was he not kissing her now? If he felt the way she did, how was he remaining so calm? Finally he pressed his lips firmly to hers and she crumpled in his arms, it was the most amazing kiss! She never imagined it could feel like this, now more than ever she realised that she'd been wasting so much time with Jamie! He'd never made her feel this way with just a kiss, just a touch, but Oz...he made her feel like the most beautiful girl in the world!

Lachie Boyle stood outside room 49 and clenched his fists. He had doubts about this, he really did and he'd always thought that American was no good. But after his sister had come to him worried sick, telling him Oz was ill and she'd not seen or heard from him for two days, Lachie took matters into his own hands. Banging forcefully on the door he shouted "Oz pal! Are ye there?" and when Oz did not answer, he used the spare key to get into the room. It looked like Oz hadn't slept in his bed as it was still made up, the room was tidy and no new towels had been used. To all intents and purposes it looked like he'd checked out of the hotel, but Lachie knew otherwise. "Whit are ye dayin' tae ma wee sister???" he growled and left the room.

"Well?" Rhona shot up from her chair in the reception when she saw her brother coming.
"He's no there wee yin, A dunno where he is!" he shook his head and ran his hand over his hair.
"I'm so scared Lachie, what if he's lying somewhere? Oh God!" she began to weep as Lachie hugged her.
"Why would he be eh?"
"Because...oh Lachie he told me he was dying. He's...and when he kissed me the other night it was like he was saying goodbye or something I..."
"Wait wait wait!" Lachie let her go and looked her straight in the eyes. "He whit? He's been slobberin' aw oor ma wee sister???"
"Lachie..."
"Naw naw naw, this jist takes the cake so it does! A telt him no tae dae that! A telt him no tae go there!"
"Go where?"
"He promised me, when we were oot oan the Loch! He promised he widnae dae that!!! Friends only a said! And a meant it! If he's no deid, am gonnae kill 'im!"

It was getting dark and it seemed that yet another night was going to pass without Oz. But when he appeared walking up the hill towards the hotel, Hamish Boyle felt he had to say something to the young man who had caused his daughter to worry so much without even telling anyone he was going to be away for a few days. As he marched down the path towards him, he thought about what he was going to say. Was he going to shake him? Lift him off the ground and yell in his face? He wasn't sure, all he knew was that his little Rhona was hurting and this American was the cause, this young man who he had welcomed into his family circle and treated him like a son! "Hello Mr Boyle sir!" Oz called to him and made him stop in his tracks.
"Oz laddie, whaur huv ye been?" Hamish skidded to a halt and bellowed at him.
"I...left a message with Hannah, didn't you get it?"
"No lad we didnae!" Hamish was still shouting, but only because he had been worried about Oz himself.
"Oh, that's odd! I told her to tell Rhona as soon as! I got a call from the airport in Glasgow and I had to rush, just as I was about to text Rhona my phone died and I didn't have time to go and get my charger. Someone at the airport found my camera! I thought I'd lost it, it's got all my pictures on it from London and Dublin! It had some awesome shots!" Oz smiled, as if he was reminiscing about his previous trips.
"Och lad, Rhona's bin hert broken so she huz!"
"I'm so sorry I...feel...just awful!" Oz realised that to Rhona and her family it looked like he'd taken off, and he felt a mixture of anger and guilt over it. "Where is Rhona?"

Rhona sat by her window looking out at the Loch, she loved to see the water rippling in the moonlight. It seemed to calm her. The knock on her door didn't distract her from the waves that swept into the shore. Her eyes were drawn to the jetty, where she first me Oz, and her eyes filled up with tears. She even thought she heard his voice, "Rhona? Rhona it's me! I..." and then she realised, it was his voice!
"Oz?" she mumbled and looked at the door.
"I'm so sorry I upset you! I did leave a message and you apparently didn't get it! I've been in Glasgow, I went to pick up my camera from the airport and decided to stay an extra night but my battery was dead on my phone and I had no charger with me. I went to a party in the centre of town. The girl who found my camera invited me, I promise I didn't...I just went for a bit of fun, a change of scenery, honest! I'm still..." he paused for a moment and she wanted to let him in as she approached the door, but thought better of it. Let him finish, make him finish! "...I'm still yours!" She opened the door slowly as he keeked his head round to see her. When their eyes connected he smiled widely, "Man you're a sight for sore eyes!"
"You're not dead then!" she mumbled, holding the door but not letting him in.
"No, why would I be?" he looked puzzled but amused at the same time.
"Oh go to hell Oswald Truman!" She shouted and slammed the door in his face.
"Rhona? Rhona!" Oz felt the panic rise up in him, she was mad at him. That was obvious! Why was she mad at him? Apart from not getting the message, he understood why she would be worried but he was here now and he'd explained. Why was she still upset? Was it the party thing with the girl from the airport? Maybe he hadn't explained that properly, it did sound like he'd gone on a date when really they were just friends. Maybe he should have come back straight away, but he thought they knew where he was so there was no need to worry. "Rhona I'm sorry, I wouldn't intentionally hurt you for the world you have to believe me!"
"P*ss off Oswald!" she yelled from behind the door, and he could hear her heartbreaking sobs. She was really hurting from this, and he didn't know what to do!

"Hey Hannah!" Oz called cheerily as Hannah jumped.
"Oh, hi Oz!" she replied sheepishly.
"So, I'm back!"
"So I see!" she nodded and continued to fold the towels in the laundry room.
"What did Rhona say when you passed on my message?" Hannah stopped what she was doing, but did not look at him.
"She was upset. I don't think she wants to talk to you."
"Is that so?" he looked at the ground and frowned. "Oh dear, what shall we do about that? Why was she upset?"
"Because you left!" Hannah gave him a nasty look. "After Jamie..."
"Hannah you didn't tell her where I went! So don't lie!" Oz could feel the anger boiling in his gut.
"Well I'm not your messenger service!" she screeched and threw the towels she'd carefully folded roughly onto the ground and stormed out, shoving past him as she went.
"Hannah..." but he was distracted by a hulking great figure coming towards him. "Lachie, hi! Um..."
"You're a deid man Truman! A DEID MAN!!!"

Hannah sat down by the jetty crying her eyes out as Terry appeared behind her. "Hannah?"
"Oh Terry!" she sniffed, "I've done something terrible!"
"What, what could you possibly do?" he sat down beside her and draped one arm over her shoulder.
"I was supposed to pass on a message to Rhona from the American guy in 49? And I forgot!" she wailed, "By the time I remembered everyone was freaking out, I got scared...plus I don't like him!" she screwed up her face. "He's got stupid hair and he's always way too cheery!"
"You have to come clean Han! Just because you don't like him it doesn't mean that Rhona has to suffer!"
"Oh come on Terry! You're the last person that should be sticking up for that guy, everyone knows you're crazy about Rhona Boyle! Since 2nd year of high school you've been besotted with her! You even took the job here to be close to her!" Terry sighed and looked out to the Loch.
"Yes Hannah, which is why her happiness means the world to me! Even if it's not me who's making her happy! Oz is actually a nice guy and she's been her old self again ever since they became close! I don't grudge her that, and neither should you!" he squeezed her shoulder and stood up, leaving her to think about what she had said and done!

"Please Lachie! I...can't...breathe!" Oz kicked his legs in thin air as Rhona's very large brother had him pinned to a wall by the throat.
"Whit were ye dayin' snoggin' ma sister??? A telt ye no tae touch her!!!"
"I....Lachie...please!" Lachie tutted loudly and dropped him to the ground as he coughed and scrambled to his feet.
"Dae ye think yer funny pal? Slobberin' aw oor her and then takin' aff???"
"No!" Oz breathed, rubbing his throat gingerly. "Like I told your dad and Rhona, I told Hannah to tell Rhona I was going...ugh...to Glasgow!!!" he breathed in and out slowly still holding his neck.
"Hannah eh?" Lachie nodded.
"Yes...Hannah! I just went to find out what went wrong and she blew up at me! And Rhona hates me!" the sadness on Oz's face was clear for Lachie to see. Once again Lachie had been proved wrong about this guy and it was a mixed feeling.
"How did ye no phone urr text?"
"My battery died, man I feel like I'm stuck on repeat!" Oz groaned and slid down the wall. Lachie joined him.
"So yer no usin' ma wee sister?"
"No I am not! And I'm insulted that you'd even suggest it after everything that we've done this week together, me and your family!"
"Am sorry aboot that pal, a love ma wee sister tae bits and after that Jamie w****r did the dirty oan her av been even mair wary of any guys, ye get why aye?"
"Yes, and I'd be the same!" Oz nodded and rubbed his throat again. "But you don't have to worry now because I've blown it there. I was in such a rush to catch the bus to the train station that...I should have spoken to her face to face, I should have got the next train!"
"Dinnae feel like that! It's awright, a'll sort it pal!"

Rhona heard a knock on her door for the second time, she chose to ignore it. If it was Oz she didn't want to hear his lies, and if it was Lachie she didn't want to hear his "I told you so!". But as the female voice called out apprehensively from the other side, she answered it. "Rhona? It's Hannah!" As she opened the door wide and looked at her friend, she could see that she'd been crying. She lifted her hand to Hannah's face and wiped away a tear.
"What's up Hannah Banana?"
"I've got something to tell you, and you'll hate me for it! It's about Oz!"

Oz sat in his room thinking about Rhona and how much he'd inadvertently hurt her. Lachie said he was going to sort it, but if he was in Rhona's position and she'd left without a word, he would feel the same way she was feeling! Maybe this was for the best, after all she would be hurting a lot more when he...no don't think about that, he thought. He decided to take a walk by the Loch, hopefully he wouldn't have to save anyone from drowning this time. As he walked along the shore and listened to the waves jumping in and out, he was aware of someone following him...Rhona! "Oz?" she called to him and he found himself running back to her. He wanted to hold her, feel her close! He hated not being near her, he hated her hating him!
"Rhona!" he called back as she began to run towards him too. Finally they were standing face to face, she looked up at him and her bottom lip trembled.
"I...I'm sorry Oz!" she bit her lip to stop herself from crying.
"So am I!" he breathed and pulled her close. He wrapped his arms around her and squeezed as tightly, but gently, as he could. How good it felt to be with her again, her perfume stuck to his shirt and it made him feel sleepy, or maybe that was all the drama that had ensued that night. Rhona sobbed into his chest and cried,
"I thought you were ill, I thought..."
"Shhhh, don't!" Oz kissed her on top of her head and breathed in the smell of her shampoo, coconut! "Rhona I would NEVER EVER leave you voluntarily, and that party with the girl, it meant nothing! Like I said, I'm still yours!"
"What do you mean?" she looked up into his eyes as the moon lit up where they were standing.
"What do you think I mean?" he gave her one of those toothy smiles, "Do I have to spell it out?" he rolled his eyes as Rhona still looked confused. "I belong to you!" he kissed her gently on the lips and whispered "I love you!" as the waves lapped over their feet and Rhona was lost for words!

To Be Continued... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but be nice! I share my thoughts and my stories with you because I want to, not to be insulted! Have a nice day! :)