Wednesday 14 May 2014

Other Sides of the World! Chapter Three: Altercations.

Previous Chapters:

Rhona had only just taken off her wet clothes and dried herself off when there was a succession of huge bangs on her bedroom door, followed by Lachie's panicked voice. "Rhona??? Rhona, c'moan wee yin open the door! Maw and Da are worried sick!"
"Coming!" she called faintly and quickly threw on her pyjamas from under her pillow. Opening the door gingerly, she felt the full force of her older brother shoving it further and barging into her room. "Lachie!" she protested as he paced her floor running his large hands through his unkempt hair.
"Where did ye go??? Auntie Mary said there wiz a commotion doon at the jetty! By the time a goat there ye were gone!" he looked her up and down, then added "Why are ye aw wet?"
"I'm sorry, I fell in the Loch!" she looked down at the carpet sheepishly.
"Ye WHIT???" Lachie placed his hands on his hips and leaned forward, a look of shock on his face.
"It's okay Lachie..."
"Ye cannae swim shorty, in the name o' the wee man whit wur ye thinkin' goan doon there anyway?"
"Oz rescued me, I'm fine!" Lachie stood up straight and his eyes widened at the mention of that American's name.
"He WHIT???" he shook his head and walked towards the window, leaning on the window ledge with both hands, bent over and breathing heavily as if this was a shock for him. "Ma wee sister nearly droont and HE wiz there tae save ye? No me?" he continued to shake his head.
"Lachie I'm fine, honestly. Please don't!" she tried to sooth him, rubbing his back.
"Rhona, a don't want ye goan near that guy again awright?"
"But Lachie..." she was cut off as her brother stood up straight again and turned to face her, his facial expression twisted with anger.
"Nae buts wee yin! Ye stay away fae him, RIGHT???" her brother's raised voice startled her and she took a step back, gaining her composure she headed to the door and held it open.
"Lachlan, don't tell me what to do! You may be five years older than me but I'm a grown woman now! Oz is a really nice guy who saved my life and rather than condemning him you should be thanking him for still having your wee sister around. If he hadn't been there I wouldn't be here now! Just you think on that Lachie Boyle, now let me get some sleep!" she gestured for him to leave.
"Rhona..."
"No Lachie, GO!" Lachie hung his head and stomped out of her room as she slammed it behind him. She slid down the wall and hugged her knees, she shivered as her damp hair pressed against her thin pyjama top. Why could he not see what a wonderful person Oz truly was? Why was he so against him?

The next morning, Lachie was manning reception once again when Oz came striding through the foyer with his hands in his pockets and whistling away to himself cheerily. "OI!" Lachie called to him as he stopped and spun around to face him.
"Yes?" he gave Lachie a toothy grin making him growl.
"Whit were ye dayin' doon by the Loch last night?" Oz shrugged and continued to smile, then casually replied,
"Out for a walk, taking in the beautiful sights of bonnie Scotland. Why?"
"Ye were oglin' ma wee sister is whit ye were dayin', and am no too happy aboot it right?" he stood up and came out of the little cubicle that housed the reception desk and made his way towards him.
"I...well I seem to have upset you somehow, I get the feeling you don't...like...me..." as Lachie towered over him menacingly, Oz stood his ground and stared him down.
"A want ye tae stay away fae ma wee sister, awright pal?"
"No, I'm sorry but it's not alright! I'll only stay away from her if she wants me to! I happen to like your sister and I think she happens to like me so..." Lachie inched further towards him until their chests were touching.
"Am no askin' pal!"
"I saved Rhona's life last night, or do you classify that as copping a feel?" Oz's face had turned serious as he looked Lachie straight in the eyes, not backing down. Yes this guy was way bigger than he was, he could easily crush him, but he wasn't going to be treated like this for no good reason!
"Yer really tryin' ma patience here pal..."
"I am NOT your PAL!" Oz answered back through gritted teeth, not letting Lachie finish his sentence. "Now be a good big Orc and drag your knuckles back to your desk and I'll be on my way!" not leaving his gaze for a second, Oz was terrified inside, but he knew he had to stand up to Rhona's brother or he would never get to see her again!
"Am watchin' you YANK!" Lachie spat aggressively and retreated to his cubicle. When his back was turned, Oz let out a huge sigh of relief and headed for the door. His legs were like jelly and his heart was pounding, but he knew Rhona was worth fighting for, even if her brother would most definitely have turned him into wallpaper paste!

"Lachie!" a gruff voice called to him from behind. Lachie gulped and panicked.
"Yes Da?"
"Dinnae be like that wi the guests son!" Hamish appeared into view and frowned at him.
"But Da..."
"A mean it Lachie! He's a guest and should be treated as such, no bullied because he's fae America!"
"A wisnae..."
"Aye ye wurr Lachie! Noo gi it a bye will ye? Rhona telt me aw aboot last night and we owe him! He saved yer sister fae droonin'! Yer mammy wants tae invite him fur dinner the night!" Lachie rolled his eyes and let out a huge sigh, he had to sit and eat at the same table as this Yank? No way!
"Da..."
"Lachie am warnin' ye! Yer mammy and yer sister like this boy, gi him a chance eh? Forget aboot Jamie, this Oz fulla will no be aroon' fur very long, so grin and bear it fur noo!" Lachie nodded reluctantly at his father as he left him to think about how he'd been treating the man who saved his sister's life. He'd attend this dinner, but only to protect Rhona from falling for this weirdo!

Annie Boyle had searched the entire hotel for that lovely American lad she'd bumped into the day before. But she couldn't find him anywhere. It wasn't until Lachie revealed that he'd left that morning and apart from a quick lunch break, Lachie had not left his post at the reception and never saw him return. As Annie frowned and began to think where a handsome, American boy would go he appeared in the foyer with his hands still in his pockets, sunglasses glinting in the sunlight, whistling away to himself rather happily. Annie raced towards him singing "Yoo hooooo!" as he noticed her and gave her one of his big pearly white smiles.
"Hello there ma'am!" he greeted her.
"Are ye busy the night son?"
"Pardon me?"
"Ye have tae join the family for dinner. Tae welcome ye to Scotland eh?" the young man blushed and looked away.
"I er, wow, thank you! I'm guessing you're the current Lady Laird? Rhona's mom?"
"I am aye, she's a wee stunner isn't she? Are ye married?" he blushed even more, turning almost as red as the carpet underneath their feet.
"I...no I..."
"Girlfriend?"
"No..."
"Good, see ye at seven in the dining room upstairs. Ma son Lachie will show ye where it is!" as she turned to go, she suddenly realised she didn't know his name. "What's yer name? A cannae keep callin' ye son can a?"
"Oswald Truman ma'am, but you can call me Oz!" she giggled like a teenager and winked at him.
"See you at seven Oswald, bye son!" she called to him as she power walked down the left corridor and out of sight.

"She did, did she?" Lachie growled at Oz as he enquired about the location of the dinner he'd just been invited to.
"Yes, she was pretty insistent that I come." Oz smiled as politely as he could at this huge bear of a man.
"Right, meet me doon here at quarter tae, and don't be late!"
"I'm sorry what..."
"Quarter tae seven ya diddy!"
"Oh, yes, sure thing!" Oz mock saluted him and headed to his room. Lachie could feel the veins in his neck pulse as he tried to calm down and remember that this guy was responsible for him still having a little sister!
"See ye later then pal!" he called to him as Oz turned and looked at him in shock.
"Uhhhhh, yeah. Later buddy!" that was torture, Lachie forced a smile and scowled at his computer screen.

"Lachie, Ozzy, there you boys are!" Annie exclaimed as Lachie pushed Oz into the room. He was wearing smart trousers and a black shirt, more presentable than the first time he saw him. Was Lachie going soft and actually warming to the scruffy American? This internal revelation would have to wait as he noticed his mother was rather inebriated!
"Och maw, yer no drunk are ye?" Lachie screwed his eyes shut and placed his hands on his hips.
"I am NOT!" she replied, looking insulted by the accusation. "Ozzy, you sit here beside Rhona! She'll be doon in a wee minute son!"
"Och Annie hen, yer no drunk aw-ready are ye?" Hamish appeared, shaking his head and sat down at the head of the table. "And you must be Ozzy!" he nodded at a rather frightened looking Oz.
"Y-yes sir, Oz sir!"
"Aye, ma wife told me ye were guid lookin'!" he smiled, then in one swift movement he was scowling, "Dinnae think ye can try and take advantage a ma wee daughter, awright?" he growled the same way as his son and for the second time that day, Oz felt extremely threatened. But then Hamish let out a booming laugh and slapped him hard on the back, nearly impaling him on the huge wooden table. "Am kiddin' ye oan son!" he laughed, then turned serious once more, "A wanted tae thank ye furr..." he sniffed and wiped a tear from his eye. This man was bigger than his son, capable of crushing a man with one hand, but he was an emotional man too it seemed. "...whit ye did for Rhona son! A'll no furget it! Thank you!" he patted him once more, but this time it was far gentler.
"It was my pleasure sir! She's an amazing young woman! I'm only glad I was there to prevent a tragedy, and meet her too, I may have saved her life but I'm also thankful that I made a friend last night." he smiled at Hamish as his eyes filled up and his wife handed him a tissue.
"Och Hamish! Gonnae blow yer nose!" she laughed and sat down beside him. 

After ten minutes of uncomfortable conversation, the door finally swung gently open and she appeared. Her long red hair was draped over her shoulders and her dress seemed to drown her tiny frame. "Rhona!" Annie called to her in a sing song voice.
"Hi mum!" she replied quietly. She sat down beside Oz as she smiled sweetly and nodded, "Hi Oz! Nice to see you again, and dry this time!" she joked and outstretched her hand. He shook it and suddenly he began to blush.
"I must apologise, I should have got up when you came in but..." her soft laugh made his heart jump in his chest, it was a weird feeling but he liked it.
"This is 21st century Scotland, not Downton Abbey!" she blinked and her eyelashes dipped like little sweeping brushes, he imagined them tickling his face if he ever got that close again.
"Rhona darlin', isn't Ozzy a nice boy? Better than that Jamie any day!" Annie took a gulp of her wine and wrinkled her nose as Rhona began to blush this time.
"MAW!" Lachie chided her.
"Whit? He is, Ozzy yer a fine young man!"
"Thank you ma'am!" he smiled again, feeling a little embarrassed as Rhona chuckled, picked up a glass jug and poured some water into an empty glass.
"Yer a real hero son!" Annie went on as she swung her wine glass from side to side and the contents spilled all over her placemat.
"Maw, come oan doon tae the kitchen and we can have a coffee eh?" Lachie gently lifted her from the table and guided her out of the room. As he did he gestured for his father to do the same. "Da, gonnae help me find the cups?"
"Eh?" Hamish gave him a puzzled look, "Whit ye oan aboot boy?" then realising what Lachie meant, he stood up and said "Och aye, they cups aye!" and left the room with his wife and son. Once they were gone, Rhona looked at Oz who was wringing his hands under the table and looking a little overwhelmed.
"I think we've been set up here!" she smiled at him and took his hand to try and calm him.
"Oh, right!" he nodded, still looking down at his hands.
"Oz? Are you okay?" she lowered her head next to his and tightened her grip as his palm sweated in hers.
"Y-yes, I mean...I'm a little nervous and..."
"Don't be nervous Oz, my family is weird I know but all they want to do is thank you for saving me, nothing more, nothing less! Well...I think my mum wants to marry us off but apart from that!" she laughed and squeezed his hand, raising it to her lips and pressing them against it tenderly.
"Rhona there's..." Oz began as his beautiful blue eyes connected with hers.
"What Oz? What is it?"
"...I lied to you!" Rhona's breath caught in her throat and she blinked at him.
"What about?"
"I'm not a photographer, I'm not here for work I..."
"Oz? What..."
"Rhona, I'm here because I had to get away! I..."
"Oz it's okay, whatever it is! Unless you're an escaped convict I'm sure whatever you tell me won't be so bad!" she kissed his hand again and he let out a huge sigh. "Listen don't tell me now, let's just get this dinner over with and then we'll go for a walk and have a chat. Get to know each other better eh?" Oz smiled with relief and replied,
"I'd like that, very much!" Just then the Boyles returned as Annie swayed into the room with a cup in her hand.
"Ozzy do ye like chicken soup son?"
"I...yeah sure!" Rhona let go of his hand and winked at him.
"Thank you for coming by the way!" she patted his hand as she placed it back on his lap.
"It was my pleasure!" he replied quietly and he patted her knee gently under the table, it gave her goosebumps and she fought back an excited giggle as Agnes and Mary arrived with the soup kettle and bowls.

After a very enjoyable dinner, despite the initial wobblies, Rhona and Oz excused themselves and headed down to the Loch. Lachie gave Oz a stern look and warned him "Keep her away fae the jetty, right?"
"Of course!" Oz nodded back to him and took Rhona's arm. As they walked along the shore laughing together about Rhona's family and their clumsy way of trying to welcome a stranger, all she could think about was this big secret Oz had told her about. She had waited for him to bring it up, but when he didn't she decided to be the one to mention it.
"So, this thing you have to tell me..." the look of fear on his face made her stop in mid sentence.
"I..." he began, then let go of her arm and walked away from her. With his back to her he shoved his hands in his pockets and looked down at the sand.
"Oz, you're scaring me!" Rhona's little voice cracked.
"The reason I left L.A. was because...I'm dying! And I didn't wanna die not knowing what it was like to travel the world!" Rhona felt like someone had punched her in the stomach, knocked the wind right out of her as she struggled to breathe. This beautiful, young, amazing man...was dying???
"What...how...when..." she couldn't form a sentence, her mouth felt numb.
"I don't know, I'm just going to keep travelling until...well that's the plan!" she wanted him to turn around, to look at her with those eyes, but he remained in the same position.
"But surely there's...something they...can do?" she approached him and wrapped her arms around his waist, pressing her cheek to his back and breathing in his scent, stronger than the night before and even more enchanting!
"No, it's...too late! I want to make the most of the time I have left, however short it may be. So I'm not sure how long I'll be staying here! Gotta keep movin'!"
"You...oh Oz!" she felt the tears sting her eyes as she held him tighter and he placed his hands on hers.
"I'm grateful that I got the chance to be your friend Rhona. I'm so lucky that we met, I'm almost glad you were on that jetty last night! Not that you nearly drowned but...you know what I mean!"
"I do! And so am I!"

Oz walked her to her room again as they held hands and chatted, he wanted to change the subject so she did. She talked about the things she and Lachie used to get up to when they were kids and they laughed together, if Lachie found out what she'd told him he'd be furious! But she didn't care! What Oz had revealed this night was breaking her heart, she may have only known him for twenty four hours but he'd saved her life. If only she could do the same for him, whatever it was he was dying of, surely there was hope? She wanted to probe him for details but knew it was inappropriate, that it may be too painful for him to talk about. The fact that he'd divulged that much to a complete stranger was big enough, to tell her more would be an invasion of his privacy and if he wanted her to know, she would by now! "So, here we are again!" he grinned at her as they arrived at her bedroom door.
"Yes, here we are!" was all she could think of to say.
"I had a great time with you Rhona, and I love your family they're...well they're adorable!" he smirked and shoved his hands in his pockets again, this was a habit of his it seemed.
"They like you a lot, not just because you saved me from drowning but...well you're a gentleman Oswald Truman!" he blushed at the mention of his Christian name and looked down at the ground.
"Well, goodnight Miss Boyle!"
"Goodnight Mr Truman!" she curtsied as he grabbed both of her hands and pulled her close. She could feel his breath on her hair as a shiver ran down her back and her body tingled. He whispered something she couldn't make out in her ear as he held her in his arms, she could feel his heart beating so fast next to her cheek as he held her tight. Finally she realised what it was he'd said,
"That guy was never good enough for you!" Rhona's cheeks grew hot and the tingling in her body intensified and she wanted so badly to kiss him. "I hope you find someone worthy of you Rhona, I really do!" he kissed her forehead and gently let her go, but not before holding her hands for a brief moment and looking into her eyes. "I'll see ya!" he whispered and began to walk away from her, still holding her hand and slowly releasing his grip as he went. It was too much for her, she felt her body would explode if he didn't let go of her as their arms were outstretched, fingers still touching ever so slightly...and then they were finally apart and he was leaving her there, wanting him! She fought the urge to call him back, to ask him to stay the night with her. What kind of woman did that? Asked a complete stranger to sleep with her! But he wasn't a stranger, he was the man she owed her life to, the man who rescued her from drowning in her family's Loch! She would be lying if she said she didn't find him attractive, she'd be lying if she said she never wanted him for however short a time it would be! She made up her mind there and then as he turned the corner and disappeared, she was going to spend as much time as she could with Oswald Truman before he walked out of her life forever!

To Be Continued...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but be nice! I share my thoughts and my stories with you because I want to, not to be insulted! Have a nice day! :)