Saturday 10 February 2018

The Smallwood Family Legacy Generation One: A Sims 4 Story

The Smallwood Family Legacy: A Sims 4 Story

Chapter Six: Runaways

As my children sleep soundly, unaware of the danger that lurks outside our house, Caleb's words begin to sink in!

Are we really going to abandon Wolfsbane Manor? The dogs seem to feel uneasy as they guard a child each as they sleep. Downstairs Caleb and I are sitting in silence, trying to make sense of everything.

"Do we really have to leave?" I ask him for the umpteenth time, he grunts and nods solemnly.
"Trixie..." He sighs, Caleb is a very patient man, but sometimes I am very difficult to be patient with!

"I mean can't we just extend the attic, hide out there for a while until all of this blows over?" Caleb scoffs and shakes his head.
"Trixie baby this will NEVER blow over! Not until Vladislaus is dead...or I am!" His last words make me sick, the thought of Caleb coming to any harm just doesn't bear thinking about!

He takes hold of my hands and looks deeply into my eyes, "Do you trust me?" I do not have to hesitate and immediately answer,
"YES!" He smiles, a hint of surprise in his beautiful grey eyes.
"Well then, trust me when I say that this is the only way to keep our girls safe! I would never put you in danger Trixie, not ever!"

"I love you!" He declares, of course he has said it many times but this time it has so much more meaning. I place my hand over his and reply with my whole heart, 
"I love you too Caleb, I really do! I know that now!"

"We have to leave, you get that now right?"
"Yes Caleb, I do!" He is relieved, I'm not sure whether Caleb is scared of the thought of losing his family, or if he is terrified of Vladislaus Straud...perhaps both!

We have kissed many times before but this one is different, like his most recent declaration of love, something has changed between us and I think that something is me! I have let go of Vivaan Gupta's ghost and I now see Caleb in a different light! My husband and soulmate! I cannot imagine ever being without him, and I do not want to live in a world without him in it! Suddenly there is a violent bang on the door, Caleb jumps back with a gasp, my lips already feel lonely.

"Oh God it's him!" He whispers, I feel his arms shaking.
"Caleb? What are we..." He cuts me off.
"Wake the girls, grab what you can and wait for my signal!"

I do as I am told as Caleb goes outside and I hear that familiar voice, "Vatore!" Vlad growls, "You are not being completely honest with me boy!"
"Master Straud, I don't know wh..."
"ENOUGH!" Vlad shrieks, "WHERE IS THE VAMPIRE WHORE???" 
"Master Straud..."
"I know she is here, and I know that there are children in this house! Young children who are too young to be Vivaan's!" Caleb's heart is in his mouth, I gather the girls and the dogs and throw some things into a bag, waiting at the top of the stairs for Caleb's signal. I have no idea what it will be or what he is going to do!

But I trust my husband completely to keep us all safe. I hear his voice, but the tone is one I have never heard before, nor do I ever want to again! "You should not have called her that!" 
"My dear boy, I do believe you are lost to her charms! She has brainwashed you into her bed! You are thinking with an entirely different organ from your brain!"
"You've signed your own death warrant Vladislaus!"
"Vladislaus? Well boy you are getting brave aren't y..."

Caleb lifts his hands and chants incoherently, a green wave travels from his fingers to Vladislaus Straud.

I have never seen Caleb do this in my life! Vlad is shaking his head in confusion and swatting the green wave away, "Boy what do you think you...are...d-d-doing that...will...n-n-not st-st-stop m-m-m-m-me!"

Caleb finally stops with a pained howl, he stands on the porch drenched in sweat as he looks at Vlad who is in a complete stupor, totally oblivious to anything around him. Caleb shouts weakly "NOW!" to me and I usher the family downstairs.

We leave in turns, Vlad is under a spell but we don't want to disturb it in any way. First Vivaana...

...then the twins, followed by me and Caleb and the dogs. We leave Vlad there, it serves him right!

We arrive at Granite Falls, a vacationing spot. The house is comfortable and it will do as our home for the time being. Caleb is looking more pale than usual and he wasn't himself during our journey here.

Despite my concerns about his well being, Caleb insists that we must give Vivvy the talk as soon as possible. I cannot bring myself to tell her about the dangers, so Caleb takes the lead. "Vivvy, you know that your father and I we...well we were turned by the same man. His name is Vladislaus Straud and...ever since he discovered your mother was pregnant with you he has wanted to have you!" 

My daugher gasps and covers her mouth with shock, "Have me? As in kill me daddy?"
"No my darling, he wants you to take your father's place in his clan!"
"His...clan?"

"Vivvy, your father, Aunt Lilith and I were all turned in exchange for our utmost loyalty to Master Straud! And we were loyal, we did make up half of his clan for a while but...we didn't like his policies! We left, Lilith and I, but your father he...well he couldn't betray Master Straud, he was the youngest of us and he felt he owed him more than we did! The next time we met was on a derelict land that we built houses on and named Forgotten Hollow. And we lived in harmony for a while until Master Straud started his crap again!"

"Language daddy!"
"Sorry, look Straud is a control freak, he has to be the leader or nothing! God help anyone that steps in his way, he had a soft spot for Viv though and when he finally did find the courage to walk away from the clan, Master Straud just let him. He knew he had tainted whatever bond they had once had, because your father was a good man and despite being a 400 year old vampire, he had never lost his humanity..."

"If Lilith and I hadn't got away when we did, then we wouldn't have ours anymore either! The reason he wants you is because he wants a part of Viv back and he thinks you are the missing piece to his puzzle. He thinks because you are young he can mould and shape and...MANIPULATE you into anything or anyone he wants. Do you understand now why we had to leave?"

"Yes daddy, I do. I won't let him take me, or Abi or Esme. Because he will want them too daddy, it sounds like he can't let you go either. It sounds like he will want to mould and shape my sisters just as much as me!" My Vivvy is so wise, Caleb is relieved that she understands the dangers, it eases his anxiety a little.

I come and join them by the fire, apprehensive at first but seeing my little Vivvy's smile I know everything is fine. "Don't worry mummy, we have each other and we won't let this Vlad win!" Caleb is looking peaky, his face is paler than usual. He excuses himself and heads indoors, I'm worried!

Vivvy is even more vigilant with her sisters now that she knows about Vlad. She watches them when I am busy and I am grateful for it. Esme happily chats away to her sister, she is enjoying her holiday.

Abi on the other hand is not at all pleased with our new temporary abode.

Doodle is the unfortunate recipient of her wrath as she grumbles in the garden. We simply cannot go back, not now, possibly never.

Caleb has told a white lie to the park ranger, he has implied that we are here under the witness protection scheme. It seems to have worked and he no longer does his checks on our house.

But Caleb continues to worry me, he is weaker than I have ever seen him before, and he perspires a lot, like he has a fever. Is he sick? Can we get sick? Having never mingled this much with others I have never encountered any sickness, but I'm sure that it is possible.

To my surprise though, he isn't completely weak...no he still has some strength in him! 

"Oh Caleb I missed you!" I really have missed my husband, this is the first time in a long time we have been intimate. My happiness is short lived though, Caleb is breathing heavily and looks weaker than ever!

As I get up to call for a doctor, he mumbles "I just need rest honey!" And drifts off to sleep. Something is not right and he won't tell me anything, it's frustrating! How can I help him if he won't talk to me???

Despite Caleb's recent "illness" we are even more in love than ever! We are flirting like a couple of teenagers and I love it! I love Caleb so much I could burst!

But the ever stubborn Trixie wants to know what is wrong with my husband! "Caleb tell me what's wrong? Are you sick?" He sighs and draws me close.
"Yes in a way I am!" He confesses, "That spell I did on Straud, well it was a strong one, perhaps too strong for me! It took all I had!" I don't like where this is going.

He kisses me tenderly and my heart leaps, his touch almost distracts me from my mission, but not quite. "Caleb please tell me what I can do to make you better?"

"I'm not going to lie to you Trix, I might never get better! I may never be as strong as I once was! I just need to rest and hope for the best!"
"So no more woo hoo?" He giggles like a schoolboy and blushes.
"I'd rather be weak as a kitten for all eternity than live without that!" And I laugh with him, I must admit I tend to agree with him, woo hoo with my Caleb is just not something I EVER want to live without!

And so I wait, I wait for my love to improve even though he warned me it might not happen. But I have to believe that he will gain his strength back, for us and for the family! Abi is telling him a story and he seems sad, apparently she wants to go home and he has to explain to her why that is not possible. I can see how it breaks his heart!

Esme and Buzz are becoming the best of friends, unlike her twin sister she is taking to our home very well. She loves the wildlife and the campfire at night...

...and she loves spending time with her favourite Labrador! Buzz is just as smitten with her, they go everywhere together which puts my mind at rest, Vlad hates dogs and has already been bitten by Heidi and Doodle, the smaller ones, a bite from Buzz is a totally different ball game!

Caleb continues to recover, maybe it's wishful thinking but I think he is perking up a little. As long as he rests I am sure he will gain his strength back. My heart swells with pride and complete love for him when I think of the reason he is so weak, he wanted to protect his family and he risked his life to do so! My God why did I not see him for the amazing person he is sooner?

Abi is still not happy with her surroundings, so I try and explain that we need to stay for daddy to get better.

Esme chimes in "Ab you want daddy better right?"
"Uff cors!" She grunts, "But home, not here! Daddy get better home!"
"No Ab daddy need sleep! Daddy need us to stay!" Esme explains. My girls, all three are amazing!

And Vivaana, finding out at such a tender age that we have to hide from a bad vampire who wants to take her away from us must have been a very difficult thing to hear! But she seems to have taken it well.

Her adorable crooked smile is ever prevalent as she plays horseshoes in the back garden. I am so very proud of all of my children! But Vivaana has endured so much in her short life, I wonder where she gets her strength from.

And then I remember, Caleb raised her and he has enough strength for all of us! Of course she learned from him, she only ever saw Caleb as her father, despite being Vivaan's daughter Vivaana always considered Caleb to be her dad!

I have decided that if I want my strong husband back, I must leave him be. And so I do! He goes fishing, catches a fish and is quite pleased!

He gazes up at the sky, cloudgazing he calls it! He seems content and comfy enough, I want to join him but I don't want to interrupt his zen.

But Caleb is a deep thinker, and no amount of rest will help if he is overthinking everything and driving his brain to distraction!

Vivaana has managed to talk Abi round, she no longer bemoans her discomfort or alien surroundings. She and her twin sister play games and tease one another to pass the time. I didn't pack any toys or high chairs or potties so we are in a bit of a fix! But we are getting by!

And despite not knowing when she will ever get back to school and her friends, Vivvy works on her project so that it is ready to go back when she is! Caleb helps her, but her questions seem to annoy him. "Daddy mummy says you should not be overdoing things!"
"Vivvy I am not overdoing it, do you feel like this is strenuous work?"

"Daddy I did not save our family, I'm not as heroic as you! You need to get your strength back so that we can both fight Vlad!"
"WE???" Caleb's anger overcomes him, "There is no we when it comes to Straud, understand?" Vivvy merely giggles as Caleb's anger subsides, his daughter just wants to help him, she is young and thinks she can be as strong as she needs to be. Ah the confidence of youth!

"Mummy also says that we should be looking out for you, because you aren't yourself!"
"Oh really?" Caleb raises his eyebrow at my daughter who is swatting mosquitoes away.
"Yes, you're poorly!"

"Vivvy I have the flu, it's no biggie! This fresh air will do me good!" Vivaana doesn't seem to be listening as she nods her head mechanically, spreading copious amounts of glue on her project.

"Well mummy says you almost died saving the family from Vlad and now you're sick! So really you're a hero! Well you're mine anyway! My daddy, the brave vampire who risked his life for his family!" Vivaana beams as Caleb blushes.

He's uncomfortable with being labelled a hero, he doesn't see himself in that way all he has ever seen is a monster. That's why he started the club, to show others that they too could be more human, that Vlad's way was not the only way. Reigning over humans and vampires alike is not necessary! Oh my Caleb, he truly is wonderful.

Finally her project is finished and she is grateful for her daddy's help. Caleb listens uncomfortably to her speech about how amazing and perfect he is.

And then he goes for a lie down, I worry that he is right, that he will never be as strong as he once was! I look at him lying there and I feel helpless! Was there more that I could have done that night? Was this really necessary? 

I sit with my love for a while and watch him sleep. How beautiful he is! And he is all mine, how lucky am I? I think about Vivaan and how besotted I was with him. I can't imagine not being with Caleb now, my love for him surpasses my love for Vivaan...and I feel guilty! Why did I have to fall in love with two wonderful men??? Why did I have to feel this conflict? And will I lose Caleb the way I lost Vivaan? I don't want to think about it!

Abi is worried for her father, and I try and reassure her but how can I when I am not so sure myself?

Caleb is so weak that he can no longer turn into a bat. I watch him try again and again, but to no avail! He is angry, frustrated and sad! What can I do? I don't want to humiliate him by trying to help, so I just watch.

He has resorted to dark meditation, it seems to help. He does look brighter after each session.

To cheer him up Vivaana has arranged a family campfire evening. Caleb is unsure at first, all he wants to do when he feels like this is go and hide in our room, but he humours Vivvy and sits by the fire.

We tell ghost stories and jokes, it's as if we never had a care in the world! And as the fire goes out, Caleb sighs and announces bed time for the girls.

"Do you feel better my love?" Caleb smiles and nods.
"I do Trixie, I really do! Thank you for this Vivvy!" Vivvy waves a hand as if to say it was nothing, but deep down she knows this has meant everything to Caleb.

His kiss turns me to mush as always! Who would have though when we first met that his touch would mean so much to me? Who would have thought that he would be my world? But he is, him and the girls!

The next morning, the twins are up and as feisty as ever. Caleb has woken stronger and more confident, maybe this is a turning point! One can only hope! Abi and Esme are due to age up in a day or so, and Caleb refuses to go home until they are children.

Things do seem to have picked up, Caleb is playing with the twins! He is strong enough to carry them!

Much to Abi's delight, she has missed playing aeroplane with daddy! I look out from the window and I am relieved! I never thought I would ever get my Caleb back...

...and here he is! Oh my love, my dear sweet love! Enjoying being with his little girls again!

As night falls, we have had a good day! Caleb has regained his bat form power...

...and gained another! Vampire speed! Yes we are fast, but Caleb is faster! 

He puts it down to the meditation, and the plasma I have been shoving down his throat! I don't know what we do from here but we clearly have to talk about Wolfsbane Manor and if there is any chance of returning...

...because my chat with Vivvy tonight is heartbreaking! She tells me of a boy, Max, who she met at school and is missing terribly! "He has brown hair like daddy and he has the most adorable laugh and..." Oh Vivaana, my baby! 

"I take it you like this Max Vivvy?"
"Yes mummy, very much so! My heart goes flutter every time we talk!" Oh Vivvy!

"I can't wait to get back and tell him all about our holiday!" My sweet child, if we ever get back!

I tell Caleb about my conversation with Vivvy and he is just as saddened as I am! He isn't sure we can ever go back, despite his recovery...

...he still feels he has a long way to go before he can match Vladislaus Straud!

He is hiding things from me and I know that! He knows I know! It is probably for my own good, but I see him with books, herbs and spices, the meditation is longer these days and he goes for long walks in the middle of the night!

But he is still my Caleb! He still loves me, and I him! We are so happy, scared for our lives but happy!

The twins' birthday is today, Vivvy can't wait to be able to play properly with them. Esme is excited too, but Abi is nonplussed!

Caleb is trying to instil the importance of please and thank you to Esme before she ages up, but so far all he gets is a blank stare!

He resorts to keeping an eye on the girls while I bake their birthday cakes, I'm still a beginner at cooking but I do my best! It warms my heart seeing all my favourite people together at once!

We celebrate Abigail and Esme's coming of age with two hamburger shaped cakes! They blow out their candles excitedly, I think they just want a piece of cake!

They have become beautiful children!

Abigail is athletic and more of a tomboy, Esme on the other hand is confident and more girly. Their father is brimming with pride!

"Well daddy let this Vlad guy mess with us now!" Abi chuckles.
"Abigail, he is a serious man! We should not mess with him!"

"Well we are grown up now daddy!" Esme nods in confidence, "We can take him, all five of us! Plus the dogs!" She talks a good fight our Esme, but still being children she and her sister can't possibly understand the severity of the situation!

As for my husband, he has a lot to think about! Is it safe yet to go home? Or should we wait until Vivaana is a teenager? I leave it to Caleb to decide, and whatever he does decide I am sure it will be for the best...that it will be to protect our family!

To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but be nice! I share my thoughts and my stories with you because I want to, not to be insulted! Have a nice day! :)